Re: is "n with tilde" used in French language ?

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 09:45:49 CDT

    On Monday, July 05, 2004 1:52 PM
    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin va escriure:
    > From Spanish "cañón"? I'm sure there's an excellent reason to "keep"
    > the tilde but trash the acute... ;-)

    Yes: acute has a different meaning in French orthography (denotes a closed
    vowel, and can occur twice) than it has in Spanish (denotes stress, and
    normally occurs at most once).

    On the other hand, dropping the tilde will:
     1) completely modify the prononciation
     2) more importantly, completely change the meaning (canon is a completely
    different word...)

    Furthermore, perhaps that cañon was borrowed before accents were common...
    (and much later resurrected)

    Antoine