Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin->arabic

From: busmanus (busmanus.lk@freemail.hu)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 17:33:33 CDT

    Mike Ayers wrote:

> [...]

    Perhaps it is. But then it's partly due to the "lazy" tradition.

    > > Can't the "remove diacriticals" action be performed in the reader's
    > > brain, instead of in the typesetter's office?
    >
    > Again, for at least some of us (and I suspect this is a majority
    > of the population unfamiliar with a given diacritic), simply ignoring
    > diacritics is not an option

    I don't think it's a problem with any given diacritical. Its rather
    an indistinct horror of diacriticals in general in speakers of a
    language without any diacriticals at all, like English. E.g.
    Hungarian uses three diacriticals and Hungarian speakers make no
    big deal of just ignoring the "meaningless" caron in Czech or the grave
    and the cedilla in Roumanian names.
    On the other hand, I must admit, that we also can be quite brutal
    to diacriticals in some newspapers or when it comes to a language
    like Vietnamese...

    Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
    Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu