Re: Diacritic and similar foldings and spam filtering

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 17:22:32 CDT

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > António suggested a serious point that for more comprehensive spam
    > filtering an enhanced folding might be useful, including such foldings
    > as | > I (capital i) and l (small L), 0 (zero) > O, |\/| > M. Would
    > such foldings in fact be feasible and useful? They would have to be
    > part of a general similar shapes folding.

    They might be useful for certain applications, in specific situations,
    but Unicode should not ever try to get entangled in this business of
    mapping unrelated characters on the basis of glyph similarity alone.
    It's just too font-dependent and subjective.

    See the sub-heading "Spoofing" in TUS 4.0, Section 5.19 "Unicode
    Security," pp. 141-142 for more information.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/