Re[2]: Importance of diacritics

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 07:21:19 CDT

    2004-07-14T19:20:35+03:00 Peter Kirk <peterkirk@qaya.org> wrote:

    >>>For in Russian these dots are considered highly optional, and
    >>>e with dots (pronounced o or yo - a spelling rule prescribes this
    >>>instead of o after certain letters when stressed) is not a separate
    >>>letter of the alphabet (contrast i kratkoe, Cyrillic i with breve, which
    >>>is a fully separate letter from i).
    >>>

    >>That’s wrong, Peter. The letter «¸» is a separate letter. Please don’t
    >>spread your wrong assumptions in the list.
    >>
    > I meant this in the sense that the two letters are interfiled in
    > dictionaries, e.g.

    > åëåéíûé
    > ¸ëêà
    > åëîâûé
    > ¸ëî÷íûé
    > åëü

    > At least this is the ordering in my Collins Russian dictionary, and I
    > understand it to be the standard Russian ordering. Am I wrong here?

    Not at all, though different dictionaries use different approaches.
    common, it however doesn’t imply that one of these letters is not
    a separate letter. There are two reasons for this kind of ordering:

    so readers will tend to mix them.
    2. The aren’t many words with initial «¸», so it's safe to file all

    > By contrast, è and é are not interfiled.

    I can’t see why you put these as an example. They are completely
    different letters (vowel and consonant), notwithstanding their similar
    look. One of my dictionaries have a section called «Ú-Ü» which
    Unlike «Å, ¨» section the entries are sorted alphabetically. Just like

    Alexander

    --
      Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/
      savenkov@xmlhack.ru             http://www.xmlhack.ru/authors/croll/