Re: Much better Latin-1 keyboard for Windows

From: Donald Z. Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 09:44:27 CDT

    Thanks for this info. I've been used to thinking in terms of deadkeys or
    Alt(Gr)- combos as alternative approaches, each with different advantages. For
    me using an Alt(Gr)- combo as a deadkey seems to defeat the advantage of having
    an AltGr key: In non-English European language keyboard layouts of course it
    permits access to accented characters without use of deadkeys.

    I do agree that the deadkeys in the US International keyboard can make typing a
    little tedious, but it is quick (once you get used to it).

    I guess the advantage of the technology is that it permits a lot of solutions
    for different needs and preferences.

    I'll cc to a12n-collaboration, where there have been discussions on the Alt-
    combo vs. deadkey solution with regard to extended character & diacritic needs
    of African languages (which go well beyond Latin-1 in many cases).

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net