Re: XML and Unicode interoperability comes before HTML or even SGML

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 13:11:17 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > Shamely,

    I wish I knew which real English word you mean by this. "Shamefully"?
    "Sadly"? "Unfortunately"? "Embarrassingly"?

    > the idea of "block-level" and "inline" elements is specific to HTML,
    > but HTML today is an application of XML, and the problem must be
    > solved at the XML level.

    HTML is not an application of XML. HTML and XML are both applications
    of SGML. XHTML, which I use and recommend, is an application of HTML
    *to* XML.

    > The only safe way to solve it at the XML level is to make the use of
    > NCRs or named character references highly recommanded (if not
    > mandatory) for the first character of a defective combining sequence.
    > The solution based on a closed list of exceptions will not work with
    > the evolutions of the Unicode/ISO/IEC 10646 repertoire of combining
    > characters.

    Will that make a difference, if one of the first things an XML processor
    does is to convert NCRs and entities to the actual characters they
    represent?

    I'm skipping the rest, about how terrible it is that Unicode now allows
    ZW(N)J to participate in combining sequences.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/