Re: Japanese pitch accent representations

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 13:08:46 CDT

    On 07/09/2004 18:41, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >>or 02F9 and 02FA (especially if they actually do indicate tone),
    >>

    >Yes. They indicate pitch accents, with distinctive rise or lowering
    >of pitch at the points indicated in the dictionaries.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    >>One of them looks a bit like one of the proposed New
    >>Testament punctuation characters, pipelined for 2E00..2E0C, which is
    >>perhaps appropriate for a book "with examples like "a student of
    >>divinity at Oxford University.""
    >>

    >No. Those are brackets, not tonal modifier letters.

    Well, not exactly. I have the Nestle-Aland Greek NT, which these are
    taken from, in front of me. Some of these marks, including the top left
    corner of a square one, are not paired, but indicate a textual issue
    with the one following word only. But I realise that their functions are
    quite different from 02F9/02FA etc, even if their forms are similar.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)