Re: Public Review Issue: UAX #24 Proposed Update

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 09:07:14 CDT

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > >Names are sometimes inaccurate, viz. ZINOR and ZARQA and the infamous
    > >FHTORA. That doesn't change the meaning or utility of the character.
    >
    > Agreed. It simply changes, indeed destroys completely, the utility of
    > the character name.

    Not at all. As I've told you before (and you agreed before), it's
    just as much a fallacy to suppose that Unicode character names carry
    no information as to suppose that they carry complete information.
    The truth is somewhere between: most names are helpful, a few names
    are partially misleading (but not totally so).

    As for FHTORA, it's annoying, but I don't see how it can be read as
    anything but FTHORA if you know anything about Greek at all, which is
    probably why it was overlooked until it was too late.

    --
    You escaped them by the will-death              John Cowan
    and the Way of the Black Wheel.                 cowan@ccil.org