Re: Unicode & Shorthand?

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 21:06:22 CDT

    Gregg and Pitman both include some characters that serve for both a
    voiced and an unvoiced consonant, so those systems at least can't be
    seen as simple ciphers of IPA. It they were encoded, I think they would
    belong on the SMP in the Notational Systems range of
    U+1D000-U+1FFFD, and Gregg would be very complex to implement
    because of the complex shaping rules it has. (Complex from the POV
    of a line of type that is.) I don't know enough about Pitman or other
    shorthands to comment on how hard it would be to implement them.