Re: Unicode & Shorthand?

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 07:46:45 CDT

    James Kass wrote:

    > As stated, though, the PUA appears to be the only place for shorthand
    > presently. Shorthands don't seem to be on the Roadmaps, so maybe
    > no proposals exist?

    Unfortunately, in OpenType at least, complex shaping is not applied to
    PUA characters.

    There still seem to be many places teaching various forms of shorthand
    and many jobs where the ability to read/write shorthand is a requirement
    - so there does seem to be a "user community". There are obviously also
    publications produced using shorthand script.

    So, am I right in assuming that were someone put together a decent
    proposal for one or more shorthand scripts, there is no particular
    reason in principle why it would be rejected?

    (BTW I have absolutely no plan to make such a proposal).

    - Chris