Re: Saudi-Arabian Copyright sign

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 19:57:12 CDT

    "Gerd Schumacher" writes:
    > I think, it would make sense to have a tiny database of composable
    > characters, which are actually used, namely in orthography, and in
    > dictionaries like the Yorouba letters with dot below, the - 35, if I
    > remember well - unencoded Lithuanian composites, the underline below vowels,
    > marking long stressed syllables in German dictionaries, etc.

    Why dictionaries? Dictionaries have such a wide and varied usage of letters,
    that I would put them in the category with linguistics and mathematics,
    which have a virtually unbounded set of combined characters. Likewise
    "actually used" is a bad name.

    I'm not sure where you're getting tiny from. Even the list of letters
    used in Native American languages is going to be pretty hefty. If it
    were short, they would have just encoded them. If it starts to run
    into the thousands, it won't be very useful.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm