Re: Precomposed Glyphs (was Re: Saudi-Arabian Copyright sign )

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 17:50:08 CDT

    On 24/09/2004 17:59, Mike Ayers wrote:

    > I should also point out that Peter, like many advocates of
    > glyph composition, seems to believe that this would be an easier
    > path. This would probably be true in the end, but along the way is
    > much, much more work. Ironically, part of that work would probably
    > include assemblage of the very database of precomposed glyphs that he
    > argued against - so that the data for composition of each individual
    > composed glyph (deformation, position, magnification, etc.) can be
    > generated and checked. Yes, it would be a monumental achievement, but
    > a pretty cool one, all said and done.

    I should point out in return that I am not advocating glyph composition
    for CJK-type scripts, but for scripts like Hebrew in which fairly simple
    positioning rules can be used, rules which have already been
    successfully implemented in OpenType fonts like SBL Hebrew.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)