Re: basic-hebrew RtL-space ?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 23:48:01 CST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > Visual entry should never be used. It was used for some legacy
    > encodings to render text on devices that don't implement the Bidi
    > algorithm and can only render text as LTR. Nobody enters RTL text in
    > "pseudo-visual" LTR order; only the logical input order is needed.

    I've never understood why writing Hebrew or Arabic left-to-right is
    called "visual" order anyway. These are RTL scripts; they are supposed
    to be not only written, but also read, right-to-left. Wouldn't a reader
    of Hebrew or Arabic consider RTL to BE the "visual" order?

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/