Re: not font designers?

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 12:32:39 CST

    Elaine Keown asked:

    > Supposedly this list has >600 people.
    >
    > Just of curiosity, how many of you are NOT font
    > designers?

    And since a number of people are declaring their
    backgrounds, I'll chime in, too. ;-)

    I am not a font designer, although I have designed fonts
    (many years ago) for linguists, and even once wrote a
    font editing program for linguists back in the bad old
    days before outline fonts became the standard for
    computer typography.

    As some have indicated, it is pretty clear that the
    number of people on the unicode@unicode.org discussion
    list who would self-identify as "font designers" is
    likely to be a rather small minority. Professional
    font designers hang out on *other* discussion lists.

    Try googling on "typography discussion forum", for
    example, and you'll find dozens of such lists and
    forums.

    > And are any of your corpus linguists, text database
    > people, or maybe database designers?

    I *am* a corpus linguist, although not actively engaged
    in that work at the moment.

    I am not a database designer, although I have designed
    (and used) lexical databases. I work for a database company,
    by the way, but that doesn't qualify me as a "database
    designer".

    --Ken