Re: [africa] Unicode & IDNs

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 06:47:04 CST

    On 10/11/2004 02:18, Christopher Fynn wrote:

    > Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/11/2004 22:43, Karl Pentzlin wrote:
    >

    >>> www.əɛ.net - the site name between "www." and ".net" is U+0259 U+025B
    >>> (The site was set up for test purposes only and contains no real
    >>> information.
    >>> It can be reached by www.xn--snae.net also.)
    >>

    >> Doesn't work in Mozilla 1.7.3 on Windows XP. Does anyone know, will
    >> it be supported?
    >

    > Hmmm, this is odd since it works fine for me with Mozilla 1.7 on XP.
    > If I click on the www.əɛ.net URL in the email message in Thunderbird
    > Mozilla is launched and goes straight to the page - though the URL
    > somehow gets translated to www.xn--snae.net.
    >
    > If I restart Mozilla and then paste www.əɛ.net in it works as well.
    > Only this time the URL is neither translated to www.xn--snae.net nor
    > converted to http://www.%c9%99%c9%9b.net/ as you describe in your
    > other message - it stays as www.əɛ.net.
    >
    > - Chris

    Strangely enough, it works today, after rebooting and restarting
    Mozilla. Perhaps Mozilla has picked up the Verisign plug-in for IE. Or
    perhaps there is some other subtle setting which has changed itself.

    Well, Mozilla certainly shouldn't rely on people running IE first!

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)