Re: Opinions on this Java URL?

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 17:45:59 CST

    At 10:21 AM 11/14/2004, Doug Ewell wrote:
    >Throughout all of this, I had completely missed the fact that the Tech
    >Note for CESU-8 had been upgraded to a Tech Report, two and a half years
    >ago, in fact. Perhaps I was in denial. Anyway, that ... invalidates many
    >of my comments...

    Noted.

    >CESU-8 is the documentation of someone's internal, non-standard
    >implementation of UTF-8. Of course, the "someone" is large and
    >important and their implementation affects a lot of users. If nobody
    >else is motivated by the presence of UTR #26 to adopt this non-standard
    >version, good.

    There are some UTF-8/UTF-16 interoperability aspects that are addressed
    by CESU-8. These concerns are real, and affect multi-component architectures
    that must interchange data across component boundaries. Therefore a standard
    specification serves a useful purpose.

    >What worries me is that there might be other people in the world like
    >Philippe

    Phillippe doesn't worry me ;-)

    >While we're on the subject of UTNs, I think it's a shame that BOCU-1, a
    >genuinely novel and potentially useful compression scheme that was
    >invented from scratch, is only documented in a "no-endorsement" UTN,
    >when a draft UTR-upgrade that adds a white-box algorithm was written
    >almost a year ago but has not been approved. This places BOCU-1 *below*
    >CESU-8 in the food chain, which seems badly wrong.

    You realize that the choice of material for a UTN rests with the authors.
    Occasionally that will mean that material that could be a formal
    specification is placed into a UTN by an author uninterested in getting UTC
    endorsement, or one that lacks the time to pursue such.

    In the case of BOCU-1 it's the latter, as the UTC has welcomed the idea of
    putting this on a standards track.

    So, your remarks should be directed at the authors of the UTN, and/or the
    owners of the relevant technology.

    A./