Re: Opinions on this Java URL?

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 23:43:23 CST

    "Philippe Verdy" writes:

    > Nulls are legal Unicode characters, also for use in plain text and since
    > ever in ASCII, and all ISO 8-bit charset standards. Why do you want that a
    > legal Unicode string containing NULL (U+0000) *characters* become illegal
    > when converted to C strings?

    Why do you need a nul? They're not exactly legal characters in plain text;
    I know of no program that would do anything constructive with them in
    plain text. A file with arbitrary control characters in it is generally
    not a plain text file; an escape code certainly has no fixed meaning and
    where it does have meaning it does things, like underlining and highlighting
    and other things, that aren't exactly plain text.

    > A null *CHARACTER* is valid in C string, because C does not mandate the
    > string encoding (which varies according to locale conventions at run-time).

    That's specious. The string encoding in C since time immortal has generally
    been a variety of ASCII or EBCDIC, both of which make the null character
    the null byte.

    > Using pure UTF-8 in C strings would not be conforming to either Unicode or C
    > conventions because it will illegitimately restrict the legal embedding of
    > U+0000 in strings...

    That's nothing new; C has restricted the embedding of U+0000 in strings since
    the very first compiler. ASCII is no different from UTF-8 here.

    I've never seen code to make strings in C that hold nulls; I've never send anybody
    use that as a reason that Java or any other language was better than C. The fact
    that you can't put NUL in a C string is both true and seemingly moot. Java's
    solution to emit it to a C string are creative and probably useful for the situation,
    but should never have been written to disk.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm