Re: Unicode HTML, download

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 12:13:36 CST

    Hello,

    I had written:
    > - In your HTML source, use only characters from the WGL4,
    > cf. <http://www.microsoft.com/OpenType/OTSpec/WGL4.htm>;

    Peter Kirk has written:
    > Well, of course if you are using languages which use only characters
    > from WGL4, you will use only these characters.

    You can well write in an European language, and still use non-WGL4
    characters, e. g.
    - U+03D0 through U+03D6, U+03F0, U+03F1, which one might wish to use
       for Greek (the reference glyphs of U+03D0 and U+03F0 were the
       way I have learned to write Theta and Kappa, respectively, in school),
    - the whole Greek Extended block, which is still used by a school
       of contemporary Greek typography (though no more in the official
       orthography),
    - U+2000 through U+200B: you have to use <kbd>&nbsp;&nbsp></kbd>,
       and some such, to generate empty space,
    - U+2010 -- believe it or not: WGL4 does not comprise the hyphen,
    - some more General Punctuation, such as U+2012 (Figure Dash),
       U+2023 (Triangular Bullet), U+2027 (Hyphenation Point, used in
       dictionaries and glossaries, like Elaine's project), U+2032
       (Prime), U+2052 (Commercial Minus Sign),
    - U+2070 through U+208E (Superscripts and Subscripts), except
       U+207F which is in WGL4 -- you will have to use HTML tags instead,
       which is more versatile, anyway,
    - a major part of the vulgar fractions U+2153 through U+215F
       (1/3 is not in WGL4, but 3/8 is), and all Roman Numbers
       U+2160 through U+2183
    More examples are left as an exercise to the gentle reader:
    just compare <http://www.microsoft.com/OpenType/OTSpec/WGL4E.HTM>
    to the pertinent ranges in THE BOOK.

    When I wrote the advice quoted supra, I was mainly thinking of
    some Punctuation and Symbols I'd like to use, which are not in WGL4.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz