RE: Shift-JIS conversion.

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 11:21:38 CST

    Dear Pragati,

    You can write your own conversion, of course. The mapping tables of Unicode->SJIS are readily availably. You should note that there are several vendor specific variations in the mapping tables. Notably Microsoft code page 932, which is often called Shift-JIS, has more characters in its character set than "standard" Shift-JIS (and it maps a few characters differently too...)

    The important fact that you should be aware of: Shift-JIS is an encoding of the JIS X0208 character set. UTF-8 is an encoding of the Unicode character set. The Shift-JIS encoding contains about 9,000 characters. Unicode (and thus its encoding UTF-8) contains about 93,000 characters. There will not be a mapping to SJIS for every Unicode character.

    Hope that helps.

    Best Regards,

    Addison

    Addison P. Phillips
    Director, Globalization Architecture
    http://www.webMethods.com

    Chair, W3C Internationalization Working Group
    http://www.w3.org/International

    It is not a feature.