RE: No Invisible Character - NBSP at the start of a word

From: Jony Rosenne (rosennej@qsm.co.il)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 00:36:30 CST

    When I look at the text, even with a magnifying glass, I do not see a Lamed
    with two points. The displayed form, from my point of view, is a Lamed with
    a single point and another point without a base character. The Hiriq is not
    under the Lamed, it is between the Lamed and the Mem. The linguistic
    approach is just the explanation, the displayed letterforms are quite clear.

    Even when I look at old Latin manuscripts, which I did once again when I
    visited the flea market in Milan a few months ago, they are not plain text
    and they cannot be faithfully reproduced in Unicode without markup. Although
    the nature of Hebrew manuscripts is different, I do not understand the
    desire to make Hebrew different, and I cannot accept it if it makes the
    computerized handling of Hebrew unnecessarily more complicated that it is
    already.

    To make it very clear: The use of CGJ approved by the UTC is fine by me, and
    I have no objection to anyone using it, but it is not required for Hebrew,
    and we do not have a standard plain text solution for Qere and Ketiv and for
    Yerushala(y)im. Regarding the latter, the UTC discussion was based on a
    mistaken or incomplete presentation of the problem. Yes, for those need two
    vowels for a single letter, CGJ would do it, but since this is not my
    question, CGJ is not the answer. The hack needed here is an invisible base
    character.

    If anyone wants to use CGJ or any other Unicode characters that are not
    included in the standard Hebrew subset (Unicode does not define subsets, but
    other bodies do and implementers necessarily have to) to encode Hebrew
    texts, they should do their users a favor and explain to them that they
    require specific implementations, operating systems and fonts.

    Jony