RE: OT Language System Tags (Was: Re: E0000 Language Tags for Archaic Greek Alphabets)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 09:34:06 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On
    > Behalf Of UList@dfa-mail.com

    > - What (if anything) gets added to the MS language tag registry

    Before considering adding anything, I'd think I'd like to see a proposal
    from a broad representation of the relevant paleography user community,
    vetted to make sure that nothing is considered by anyone to be a
    distinct script, and analyzed to identify what iso-glyph categories
    exist and what rather are one-off glyph variants that are best handled
    other ways.

    BTW, I don't rule out the use of variation selectors for variants in
    archaic text. That's quite a different matter from Serbian. That's not
    to say I think VSs should be handed out liberally.

    > - what gets put in the Web page code

    I'm not sure since I don't know exactly what the nature of the
    distinctions you want are.

    > - how does whatever is in the Web page code communicate with the OT
    font

    That's up to an app.

    > - what is the OT font doing (what is locl doing that gsub couldn't
    and
    > how)

    You misunderstand: GSUB is a table of information within an OT font, and
    part of that information can include the 'locl' feature and substitution
    lookups associated with that feature.

    > - and what of this will always work with any app?

    *Any* app? Nothing.

    Peter Constable