Re: Script Continuums (Was: Re: Greek glyphs)

From: UList@dfa-mail.com
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 10:53:30 CST

    I don't mean handwriting styles.

    I mean something like there might be a clear visual difference between
    Sumerian cuneiform of 3000 B.C. and Hittite cuneiform of 1500 B.C.[*] -- but
    they don't have separate characterhoods.

    And there may be a giant library of tablets in the Sumerian local script
    variation, and a giant library of tablets in the Hittite local script variation.

    And it seems optimal to me to read the Hittite library in a *standardized
    local Hittite variant* of the cuneiform script, rather than in the Sumerian
    local script variant..

    Just as it's optimal to display Serbian in the Serbian local variant of
    Cyrillic script, and not the Russian variant.

    Thanks, Doug

    [*] I don't know that this is so.