Re: teh marbuta

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 02:42:12 CST

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:11:40 -0800 (PST), Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > But how you analyze the phonology and morphology of Arabic (or any
    > other language which happens to use the Arabic script for writing)
    > is basically irrelevant to the character encoding. The character
    > encoding encodes the visible units of the writing system (the
    > graphemes and occasionally subgraphemic pieces, allographs, and
    > such).

    Unless the writing system is Mongolian, in which some visibly identical units
    are encoded separately for each different pronunciation that they take (e.g. the
    letters O [1823] and U [1824], which are visibly indistinguishable in all
    positions) ... but I suspect that this is a case where the user community's
    perception of what is a character won over character encoding theory.

    Andrew