Re: Shades of Gray

From: UList@dfa-mail.com
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 21:39:54 CST

    How wonderful to hear that you are considering this issue -- whether my
    particular ideas are right or wrong, ever implemented or not.

    > >But I was told, no, there is simply a better way of doing this: "language
    > >tags".
    > >
    > I don't think anyone has ever encouraged you to use the Unicode language
    > tags. This mechanism is available, but is not well defined and not

    Oh no! They certainly didn't. I meant "higher level language tags" there!

    Note the concept of "two-level nesting" as well. There are some variant forms
    of theta *within* the local script used in Ancient Greek city-state X. These
    variants default to the standard (most common) theta of that local script
    first. Then the whole local script defaults to the standard Greek script.
    Useful both for data identity and the practical matter of less-than-complete
    glyph sets in fonts.

    Doug