Re: CGJ for Two Greek Ligatures?

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 22:38:57 CST

    At 07:56 PM 3/5/2005, Doug Ewell wrote:
    >Reading Michael Everson's papers in 1998 about ZWJ and automatic
    >ligation, I got the sense that such capabilities would be within my
    >reach soon. For years, Word has been able to convert straight quotes
    >into curly quotes, and convert text like *this* and _this_ into real
    >italics and boldface. Why can't it display "field" and "flip" and
    >"stuff" with f-ligatures?

    Because ligatures (in many languages) cannot be uniformly applied
    to paired characters. The pair has to belong to the same part of
    a compound word. We've had delightful discussions of this, search
    the archives for 'Wachstube'.

    Since it involves user input (at least in these languages) it's not a
    lightweight process.

    >I'm not asking for ligatures for combinations like "fb" and "fh" (though
    >I know they would be welcome in Irish), nor for arcane and quaint "ct"
    >or "st" ligatures -- just "fi" and "fl" ligatures, and maybe "ff" and
    >some combinations thereof.

    Scandinavians would cringe at your casual omission of 'fj' (thing fjord).

    A./