Re: Unicode abuse

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 00:20:53 CST

    Erik van der Poel <erik at vanderpoel dot org> wrote:

    >> But what harm was done by allowing a hard-to-type and
    >> not-very-confusable character like C into the mapping process?
    >
    > As I've said, this is not a huge problem. If you don't get the feeling
    > that double-struck C was unnecessary in domain names especially since
    > it is simply mapped to regular 'c', then you're obviously different
    > from me. Like I said, this is highly subjective. Maybe I'm the only
    > one who feels like I do!

    I agree that ℂ is unnecessary in domain names. I also feel that it's
    harmless. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of characters like this
    in Unicode.

    Accepting NFKC lock, stock and barrel for this purpose is probably
    better than second-guessing the work of the UTC.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/