Re: Languages using multiple scripts

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 15:53:04 CST

    On 07/03/2005 19:10, Christopher Fynn wrote:

    > Peter Kirk wrote:

    >>> I'm not sure what you classify as "current use", ...
    >>

    >> I was not talking about reprinting of ancient religious works,
    >> although this is not trivial of course.
    >

    > Not only ancient religious works - it is one of the official languages
    > of India and there *are* words like "duradarshana" - the modern
    > Sanskrit term for television. Courses on modern Sanskrit are very
    > popular in India.

    I didn't intend any comment on your remarks on Indian languages, about
    which I know little. My point was related only to Azerbaijani, Uzbek
    etc, for which all three scripts are in general use as the first choice
    language and script of substantial communities, probably of millions
    although Arabic script literacy rates are low.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)