Re: Sample code for NFC and Plane 1 characters

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 14:46:20 CST

    Elliotte Rusty Harold asked:

    > While you're at it, is there any chance you could loosen up the
    > copyright a bit? The ideal situation would be public domain. The current
    > copyright notice with "All Rights Reserved" means I can learn the
    > algorithms from it, but I pretty much have to reimplement them from
    > scratch.
    >
    > If that was the intent, then it's The consortium's code and they can do
    > what they want. However, if they expected people to actually use this,
    > as I expect they might have, then a license that allows that is necessary.

    The applicable license is located at:

    http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html

    See Exhibit 1 there.

    When the Java source files for Normalizer.html are updated for
    Unicode 4.1, their headers should be updated to make it clear
    that they (as for all source in the http://www.unicode.org/reports/
    directory) are governed by the general license.

    --Ken