Re: Encoded rendering instructions (was Unicode's Mandate)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 14:51:30 CST

    John Burger wrote at 12:13 PM on Wednesday, March 9, 2005:

    [I wrote:]
    >> 2) plus all the markup schemes with which I am familiar (including the
    >> ones you mention here) use non-empty tags for the markup elements, tags
    >> which are basically worthless for overlapping hierarchies of
    >> meta-textual
    >> data. (Try marking up a textual feature that spans portions of two
    >> paragraphs and you'll see what I mean.)
    >
    >This seems irrelevant to your specific proposal - how would your
    >character codes deal with this non-hierarchical issue?

    As part of the text stream, encoded damage indicators would have nothing
    to do with meta-textual issues.

    But you are right, it is basically irrelevant to the present discussion;
    I was just pointing out why I don't happen to like for this application
    the particular markup standards mentioned (other than the mere fact that
    they are markup).

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar