Re: Incorrect names for Arabic letters

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 12:04:17 CST

    Ahmad Gharbeia <gharbeia at gmail dot com> wrote:

    > The current Unicode standard has incorrect names for fourteen of the
    > basic Arabic script's twenty eight letters. With basic I refer to the
    > Arabic alphabet excluding the extended set of letters modified for
    > writing languages other than Arabic.
    > Finally, the order of Arabic letters as defined in the current version
    > of Unicode, known as the Hegaa'i order, is a relatively newer order
    > where letters are sorted according to their shape proximity, and is
    > not the original Abgadi order, which matches the (ABC) ordering of all
    > alphabets derived from the original Ugaritic alphabet. Although it is
    > unlikely that this heritage of earlier encodings can be modified now,
    > this should be noted, however.

    For stability reasons, the names and code positions of characters in the
    Unicode Standard cannot be changed.

    It is possible to add annotations to the entries for various characters
    to indicate alternative spellings.

    The relative order of characters within a script often differs depending
    on the language using that script. Sorting of character data generally
    should not be done simply by comparing code point values.

    Hope this helps,

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/