Re: Incorrect names for Arabic letters

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 19:43:48 CST

    On 19/03/2005 23:58, Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >>>Absolute code point order happens to work quite well for
    >>>

    >>unpointed Hebrew.
    >>
    >>Actually, it doesn't. Those final forms keep even this case
    >>from being true
    >>(in a proper sort the final forms would have only a secondary
    >>or tertiary
    >>difference from the non-final forms of the same letter.
    >>

    >Do you have a practical case to show it?
    >
    >Since the finals come before the non-finals it doesn't happen.

    It can happen in cases where the regular rules for use of final forms
    are not obeyed. I understand that non-final pe is sometimes used word
    finally for a P sound rather than an F sound. Is that right? There are
    also a few anomalous forms in the Bible. For example, in Job 38:1 the
    form (unpointed) מנ is found. This should be a variant of מן and sorted
    next to it, but a code point ordered sort of words in the Bible would
    find these words separated by compounds like מן־הארץ.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)