Re: zipped UCD

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 03:52:14 CST

    At 01:09 AM 3/21/2005, Theo Veenker wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >In http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ReadMe-4.1.0d7.txt it says
    >"Zipped versions of UCD data files for Version 4.1.0 are posted in:
    >ftp://www.unicode.org/Public/zipped/4.1.0/"
    >
    >Will the zipped folder contain all data files for all UCD versions
    >or just the files the UCD maintainers consider worth zipping.

    The intent is that the zipped folder for each version provides the
    same information as the unzipped folder.

    However, the Unihan database is a large chunk of the UCD that's not
    needed by everyone. Therefore, it will be zipped separately.

    That struck us as the correct balance between convenience of
    getting the files and not forcing people to download
    more than they actually want to use.

    >Why not one zip-file per UCD version? The UCD is the only project
    >for which I feel the need to write a download-script at each new
    >release.

    A./