Re: 'lower case a' and 'script a' in unicode

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 19:01:15 CST

    On 23/03/2005 22:02, Philippe VERDY wrote:

    >>De : "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    >>In the SIL PUA assignments there is a character F208 LATIN CAPITAL
    >>LETTER SMALL ALPHA ...
    >>

    >No I have not such evidence, but I still know that there are African languages that make the distinction in lowercase, and it's not stupid to assume that the distinction should be preserved as well in uppercase. ... So it's more interesting to locate newspapers or magazines edited in those known languages that use the distinction. This would reveal the convention used in that case, without looking at very large text corpus to locate those examples. ...

    Well, if perhaps you could start by telling us the names of some
    languages which make the distinction in lower case, we might then be
    able to find these materials showing what they do in upper case. But we
    want to make sure that these are not examples of what Mark just called
    the "many (perhaps most) uncased characters (in bicameral scripts) that
    are archaic or special purpose (eg IPA)."

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)