Re: 'lower case a' and 'script a' in unicode

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 13:44:23 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > So there would be some uppercase version that could look like a
    > uppercase A with the top rounded instead of angled, i.e. similar to a
    > turned U with a bar.
    > Or a form like a OC ligature, i.e. a bigger Greek small alpha.

    In the version of the Sylfaen typeface that I made for MS in 1998, I used a larger version
    of the lowercase form. See small attached graphic.

    I think the characterisation 'like an OC ligature' is misleading, because the amount of
    curvature on the right side of either upper or lowercase is stylistic (this is true of the
    lowercase Greek alpha also).

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com