Re: Security Issues: Navajo

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 21:27:20 CST

    On Mar 25, 2005, at 7:19 PM, Patrick Andries wrote:

    > To complement Peter's list. There is also U+02BC, I suppose this is
    > what should be used in Navajo/Navaho to represent its glottal stop,
    > but what I've seen on the web does not use this character (e.g.
    > http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/JPN-navajo.html).

    It's a minor point, because technology often dictates that Navajo is
    written with the ascii apostrophe, but U+02BD is what should be used if
    Unicode capability is available. Unfortunately the web page referenced
    is in fact miscoded in several ways, the author having replaced
    anything not available in Latin-1 by something else. Slashed-l becomes
    lh, vowel-ogonek becomes vowel-circumflex, vowels with two diacritics
    (acute plus ogonek) are ignored, and glottal stop becomes apostrophe.

    Two examples of correctly coded pages are:

    http://home.att.net/~jameskass/navajotestutf.htm
    http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/navajotest.html