Re: Apostrophe

From: Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk (qrczak@knm.org.pl)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 16:05:17 CST

    "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> writes:

    > Well, I don't like using quotation marks at all if I want to make a
    > true apostrophe. The ASCII single quote is certainly better encoding
    > for that purpose, and I will only use these quotation marks characters
    > when they are effectively opening/closing punctuations and not
    > apostrophes...

    The ASCII apostrophe usually looks worse. The true apostrophe is meant
    to look as a quotation mark, with a filled bulb and a tail like 9.

    > On the opposite, I see no opposition to use U+2032 (PRIME) as an
    > apostrophe,

    A prime definitely looks differently: it's straight, an apostrophe
    should be curved.

    > So better encode a APOSTROPHE LETTER, before speaking about replacing
    > all ambiguous ASCII quotes... (Or may be specify that U+00B4, the
    > *spacing* accute accent,

    Same here. An apostrophe is definitely different from the acute
    accent, it looks differently and has a separate meaning.

    Although an apostrophe has a different meaning than a quote, it looks
    the same, so in Unicode they are unified.

    --
       __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
       \__/       qrczak@knm.org.pl