Re: U+0023

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 01:32:32 CST

    Aha - I always wondered why I sometimes see hash refered to as "pound sign". I
    had previously assumed it had something to do with the "old days" (I can
    remember them) when we only had seven-bit encodings. In England, I can remember
    using a computer in which 0x23 encoded U+00A3 (the real POUND SIGN), and
    certainly it is the case even now that SHIFT+3 gets you '#' on an American
    keyboard, but '£' on a British keyboard.

    Thanks for clearing that up.
    Jill