Re: U+0023 in French

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 06:43:08 CST

    Writing from Ireland to echo what Martin Green says below.

    The expression 'pound sign' has only one current use in my country,
    viz., with ref. to UK currency, expressed in notation as '£'.

    Formerly (until a brief few yrs ago), the only sign we call the 'pound
    sign' ('£') was also the symbol for the native Irish currency ('punt'),
    which was replaced by the euro. A dual-currency situation currently
    operates in Ireland (the pound sign for currency valid north of the
    border, and the euro sign for currency valid south of the border).

    We only ever call the hash sign 'hash' or 'numeric', as in 'item/part #
    1', never associate the sign '#' with any measure of weight.

    Hope this helps,
    mg

    Scríobh Martin Green:

    --