RE: Symbols for chemical bonds

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 11:44:03 CST

     From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>

    > What we all agree on is that we don't want to try to define a plain-text
    > rendition of 2D diagrams. However, there exist in-line versions.
    >
    > Something of the form
    >
    > CH2=CH2
    >
    > in contrast to
    >
    > CH3-CH3
    >
    > would definitely fit the definition of in text use. For music, we've
    > even coded the symbols so they can be cited (in isolation from musical
    > scores) in text. I've definitely seen examples of texts showing
    > distinctive symbols in running text when discussing 2-D structure
    diagrams.
    > Such use would be analogous.

    The texts I've seen lead me to believe that in some circumstances the
    existing minus sign, equals sign, identical to, and strictly identical to
    characters are employed in linear text to represent simple single to
    quad bonds. At most, this suggests including glosses to those existing
    characters for their use in chemistry instead of adding new characters