Re: U+0023

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 12:57:51 CST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > On 30/03/2005 22:09, Charles wrote:
    >> ... The "#" as a number sign I would regard as relatively
    >> uncommon in British usage by comparison with "No." (U+2116).
    >>
    > I agree that we write "No." rather than "#". But we use a simple string
    > "N", "o", ".", rather than U+2116. U+2116 is commonly used as a single
    > character in Cyrillic script (which has no "N" shape). Indeed it is
    > included in Russian typewriters and computer keyboards as a single-width
    > character, accessed by the "1" key (to get "1", type shift-1).

    Old mechanic French typewriters also had a key (on the left of the "1" key)
    for "N°" as a single character, sometimes printed with a underlined o on
    some models, before it was replaced by various symbols, and now today on PC
    by the exponent 2 digit.

    In French texts, we can see today either "No." or "no." entered as 3 basic
    letters and a dot, or "N°" or "n°" with two characters where the second is
    the degree symbol on Shift+")", located on PC keyboards between the "0" and
    "+" keys. But never "#"... When "N°" is used it is always meaning an ordinal
    (rank) that abbreviates the term "numéro", and not a cardinal meaning "count
    of" which in French is "nombre" commonly abbreviated as "Nbr." or "Nb."
    (with or without the capitalization of N).

    I think that Spanish users will use the masculine letter mark to compose
    "N°" or "n°", as they don't have the degree symbol on their native keyboard.
    (It may even happen that the real degree unit sign, for example in "60°41'N
    5°16'W", is written using this masculine letter mark).

    I don't know what Italians enter, but the "No." abbreviation is also common
    there.