Re: Version 4.1 of the Unicode Standard Released

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 16:58:34 CST

    On 31/03/2005 21:48, Philippe VERDY wrote:

    >But I had forgotten to look at this summary page:
    >http://www.unicode.org/charts/

    I note that there has been a major revision of this page today (I had to
    press "refresh" to get it) which makes it much easier to find scripts.
    It is more compact, and has blocks listed logically and alphabetically
    rather than in raw code point order. Thank you for this.

    >(and its second referenced page:
    >http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html)
    >which is not referenced from the new 4.1 page, which only links to 4.0 charts.

    I am confused by this. The "*Online Code Charts*" link from
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.1.0/ is to
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/, i.e. always the latest version, and I
    think it always has been. And the links from both
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/ and
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html seem to be to new version 4.1
    code charts e.g. for Tifinagh and for currency symbols. Possibly,
    Philippe, you need to refresh your pages.

    But what is confusing is that the link from
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/enumeratedversions.html to "The Unicode
    Standard, Version 4.0" now points to
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.1.0/. The link to "Update
    Reference Unicode 4.0.1" correctly points to
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.1/, but the "*Online Code
    Charts*" link from this is still to http://www.unicode.org/charts/ which
    is now the Unicode 4.1 version. All of this could be very confusing to
    anyone trying to unravel the history of the standard. But at least it
    does a thorough job of pointing everyone to the latest version.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)