Re: Tamil 0B83: Tamil Aytham and Devanagari VisargaL

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 17:14:46 CST

    On 01/04/2005 23:01, Michael Everson wrote:

    >> It is an insult to a suffering minority language.
    >

    > No, it isn't. And Tamil is not a minority language. It has 74,000,000
    > speakers, according to the Ethnologue. Hungarian, by comparison, has
    > 14,500.000 speakers.

    The term "minority" is a relative one: the smaller of two groups
    constituting a whole, or a group with a lower political status than
    another group. See for example http://www.answers.com/minority&r=67
    Although there are a large number of Tamil speakers, it is actually a
    rather small minority language in both of the countries in which it is
    widely spoken: 62 million speakers out of over a billion population in
    India, 3 million out of 18 million in Sri Lanka. And the Tamil minority
    in Sri Lanka has certainly been suffering at the hands of the Sinhalese
    majority - not to mention the serious suffering from the tsunami in
    Tamil regions of both countries.

    I'm sure a deliberate insult to the Tamil people was not intended by
    those who originally gave this incorrect character name. But please
    don't follow up that unintentional offence by now deliberately insulting
    the Tamil people and their language.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)