Re: Does Unicode 4.1 change NFC?

From: Chris Jacobs (chris.jacobs@freeler.nl)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 06:36:56 CST

    > Well, yes and no. I remember being told repeatedly that it is quite
    > permissible and conformant for an implementation to support only a
    > subset of Unicode characters. But of course that only worked with a
    > subset closed under the operations performed by the implementation. Now,
    > suddenly, without any announcement or apparent consideration of the
    > implications, the subset is no longer closed under normalisation.
    >
    > --
    > Peter Kirk
    > peter@qaya.org (personal)
    > peterkirk@qaya.org (work)
    > http://www.qaya.org/

    It is for interpreting and rendering that it is allowed to support only a
    subset. But e.g. for storing you have to support the whole set.

    I don't see why the subset should be closed. Suppose I have a simple font
    which can display ä but not ä, then I should still be able to normalize to
    decomposed if I want to.