Re: Macrons

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 07:55:40 CST

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:01:20 +0100, "Raymond Mercier" wrote:

    > Andrew C. West writes
    > > That should be no suprise. In general, under Windows NT4/2K/XP, Unicode
    > > rendering works better in plain text apps such as Notepad than in clever
    > > apps
    > > such as Word. Notepad doesn't try to be clever ... it just sends the text
    > > you
    > > give it to Uniscribe for processing and rendering; Word tries to be
    > > clever, and
    > > in the end usually fails miserably.
    >
    > Fine, although one of the 'clever' things in Word is that at least there I
    > can enter any character I want, but in Notepad how does one enter M+macron ?

    As others will no doubt tell you, there are many ways of entering macron+m in
    Notepad; but if I were working with a language that uses m/n plus macron, then I
    would use Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator to create a special keyboard
    layout to support the orthography, and map m-macron, M-macron, n-macron and
    N-macron to AltGr-M, Shift-AltGr-M, AltGr-N and Shift-AltGr-N respectively. Then
    I could easily enter the characters in Word or Notepad or almost any Windows
    application.

    Andrew