Re: Big-5+HKSCS => GBK mapping

From: Frank Yung-Fong Tang (franktang@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 13:59:19 CST

    On Apr 6, 2005 12:10 PM, Ken Krugler <ken@transpac.com> wrote:
    > >Not sure how can you map Big5HKSCS to GBK. In particular if you
    > >consider GB18030. It alerady defined how Big5HKSCS should map to the
    > >area outside GBK, if you do map those character to GBK, then it will
    > >make the mapped result incompatable with GB18030.
    >
    > I'm not following your reasoning - what would "make the mapped
    > results incompatible with GB18030"? If GBK is the explicit target for
    > a charset conversion from Big-5, then either a character can be
    > mapped (fuzzy or not) or it can't. If it can't be mapped, then it's
    > going to show up as '?' or whatever placeholder gets used. Where does
    > GB18030 compatibility come into play here?

    If Character X in HKSCS should map to GB18030 character Y (say Y is in
    the rang of GBK) and
    Character Z in HKSCS shuld map to GB18030 character W (say W is not in
    the range of GBK)
    and you make both Character X and Z in HKSCS map to character Y in GBK
    then later you will find out which Y should be Y in GB18030 and which
    Y should be W in GB18030 ?

    If your conversions is for 'rendering' only, then it probably not a
    big deal, but if you will use it to store persisten data, it may cause
    you nighmare 5 years later.

    --
    Frank Yung-Fong Tang
    譚永鋒