Re: Malayalam Zero - an error

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 15:45:43 CST

    Dean Snyder wrote:

    > Then, I simply do not understand why Ken would say that the chances are
    > "next to zero" that the UTC would correct a possible Malayalam zero error
    > in the charts "along the lines that Philippe has suggested" (namely
    > changing the glyph).

    I read Philippe's suggestion as changing the Malayalam zero character to a 1/2 character,
    and then re-encoding the zero character, i.e. not simply changing the existing zero glyph.

    Ken's response was that receiving one e-mail from one person claiming an error in
    something that has been reviewed by Indian standards bodies, a native Malayalam speaker on
    the UTC, etc. was not grounds for changing anything. And if anything were to be changed,
    it would be a simple glyph change in the charts and not a convoluted and unstable change
    of character codes, which is what Philippe seemed to be suggesting, unless both Ken and I
    read his message wrong.

    As for Ken's use of the phrase 'next to zero', that seemed very obviously a joke based on
    the topic under discussion.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com