Re: Abuse of Unicode name list?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 12:51:27 CST

    On 10/04/2005 00:37, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:

    > Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> . . . if a country changes the official name of its currency unit
    >> but does not change the symbol, as Ireland did when it changed the
    >> name of its currency from pound to punt.
    >

    > Nitpicking correction: It did nothing of the sort. "Pound" is the name
    > of the unit in English, "punt" is the name of the unit in Irish. (The
    > use of "punt" in English-language contexts is very recent, and has no
    > official basis.)

    OK. But a time did come when we in the UK were all expected to call your
    currency "punt" and not "pound".

    But this is still an example of something which might have happened, and
    there are probably examples to be found where it actually has happened.
    For example, has Burmese script officially become Myanmar script, or
    Cambodian script become Khmer script? These kinds of things could easily
    mess up Unicode character names, such that the stability requirement
    could have serious political consequences.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)