Re: Decode Unicode (Was String name and Character Name)

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 13:28:12 CST

    On Wednesday 2005.04.13 13:56:36 -0400, Edward H. Trager wrote:
    > On Wednesday 2005.04.13 18:06:26 +0200, Otto Stolz wrote:
    >
    > > >Johannes Bergerhausen's "Decode Unicode" project (prototype at
    > > >http://decode.meso.net/ )
    > > >would be a good forum where individuals can contribute clarifications of
    > > >how these mis-
    > > >named characters should more properly referred to.
    > >
    > > Alas, my first impression of that project was disappointing: I have looked
    > > up the
    > > German article on LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S, and found an unsubstantiated,
    > > dis-
    > > proved theory of its origin. I had really not the time to correct that
    > > article.
    > > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%DF>, and
    > > <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F>,
    > > are much more accurate; <http://decode.meso.net/> is not fit to hold a
    > > candle to
    > > them. (But then, the latter is only at its beginning; it is hoped that more
    > > com-
    > > petent authors will join in and produce more accurate articles.)
    >
    > Yes, of course Decode Unicode is really in its infancy. However, it has a lot
    > of potential as a central forum for explaining the origin of characters. You should
    > really consider correcting the article that you thought was unsubstantiated. Actually,
    > the best way to "correct" it would to simply add a hypertext link in the Decode Unicode
    > Wiki pointing to the English and German wikipedia.org articles.
    >
    > I'll have to check whether I can add hypertext links within an entry in Decode Unicode.

    Otto -- I have now done the obvious thing which is to simply add a brief entry in the English section
    of Decode Unicode for LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S which provides the wikipedia URLs for both the
    English and German descriptions of LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S.

    You can check it out here:

    http://decode.meso.net/w3.php?nodeId=325&lang=2

    You or someone else with a knowledge of German could modify the German entry to perhaps also reference
    the better-researched wikipedia.org articles.

    - Ed Trager