Re: String name and Character Name

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 14:12:58 CST

    From: "Antoine Leca" <Antoine10646@leca-marti.org>
    > Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:
    >> Back in 1999, I received over 300 pieces of email asking me
    > [...]
    >> I finally put up a web page explaining why all of these people are
    >> basically either stupid or insane
    >
    > I was one that send about 150 of these letters (but it was in 1998; Oh
    > yes,
    > I had to send about 120 others in 1999, because the first batch was not
    > really answered.) I did so because I was required to do so by the lawyers.
    > resisted (about 8 months long), because I pretty knew it was insane and
    > stupid (asking Microsoft from France is as clever as an American asking
    > President Chirac to do... whatever.)

    Here again, a translation project in the CLDR, to localize some parts of the
    list of character names, would help fixing the names used in various
    languages (including British English, American English and French), long
    before Unicode then applies changes or additions in the usage notes found in
    the Unicode (and ISO/IEC 10646) standard charts.