Re: PHP (Re: wiki?)

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 16 2005 - 17:29:17 CST

    With regard to MySQL and PHP and Unicode:

    We have used, and continue to use, the combination of MySQL and PHP for
    Unicode-based web applications. All of the data in our database tables are
    encoded in UTF-8. The web pages are presented in XHTML 1.0 using UTF-8
    and CSS level 1 & 2.
    We have used PCRE (Perl compatible Regular Expressions) regular expression
    stuff in PHP to some extent. I've found some quirks with it, but so far
    managed to find work-arounds. I haven't compared PCRE with, say, ICU's
    regular expression implementation, so I can't really comment on that.
    Depending on what you want to do, the lack of built-in localized collation
    support might mean that you or your developers have to write extra code to
    get the results you want. Feel free to write me off list if you have
    specific questions.

    - Ed